Over the past two years we have hired 12 new officers and have put them through the PTO program, which is a problem based learning program for our new officers focusing on problem solving. Recently, as a department we have realized that our new officers are lacking in the basic necessities to function as patrol officers. The Deputy Chief put together a problem solving group consisting of myself, PTO coordinators, and our training sergeant to determine the problem and work towards a solution. As a group we determined that we would incorporate some of the past FTO training program concepts, and developed a checklist that would cover what the new officers were lacking in regards to basic patrol functions. Also, we had the new officers go through additional training to know they possessed the necessary traits for the position of police officer.
We were so focused on the problem solving end of our program that we didn't focus enough attention on the basics with them, reinforcing what they had learned in the academy such as traffic stops, officer safety tactics, high risk stops, force on force, response to resistance, etc....
Dealing with a 6 year very productive employee that has recently been in several high speed car accidents, been late to work, missed court appearances, and has not been turning in reports.
I have met with the officer individually and improvements were made. Specifically the only remaining problem was the reports not being done on time. I met with the other shift sergeant and eventually we met with the Division Lieutenant. After speaking as a group and after length discussions we came up with a plan to help the officer. These efforts also worked for a short period of time and the same problems returned.
Since not doing reports is not an option, varying levels of discipline were handed down. The officer never tried to give excuses or deflect his actions, however the report problem persisted. At the next staff meeting we spoke with all the Lts, Sgts, the Chief, and records supervisor about the situation. The records supervisor asked if the officer had been tested for dyslexia or ADHD. This had never occurred to us. Once he was tested it was determined that he had both dyslexia and ADHD.
The officer is being treated by his own doctor and has made tremendous improvements, and still leads the department in productivity while completing his reports.
Interesting. Had a similiar situation and I did a round table with the sgt's about this troopers activity..we came up with a plan and had the Sgt report his progress to me on a montly basis. We found out he was just lazy! 86% of his sick leave use was on Fri, Sat or Sunday. Amazing how healthly he become and how activity improved, when he knew he was being watched and evaluated on a monthly basis..
I think everyone has an employee(s) that exhibits this behavior at some point in time. Good to have the outside the box thinkers in a strategic thinking group. We have had the same issues with employee (s), and I will keep this in mind, very good example Bart.
I was part of a post operations work group, prior to our regional policing being implemented. There were 12 people from across the state on this work group and we met throughout the summer. Team members held the rank of captain all the down to sgt level. The focus was how do we continue to operate with post closures and how do we deploy, schedule, move property, etc., across the post areas, which in some post areas is as big as four counties. The neat thing about this workgroup was the diversity of the rank, geographical location stationed at, and current positions within he department, brought a wealth of ideas and suggestions to the table. Also the benefit to strategic thinking is that..you tend to only think about your position or post operation and the work group brings a much bigger and better skill set to help solve the problem. Much like the green team. I enjoy the breakout sessions where we deal with problems and issues. I find great value in listening to other team members explaining how the issues affect their agencies or how they have dealt with a common problem.
It is nice that in your agency you have the ability to do this. For those of us that don't have a statewide organization, setting up work groups would be beneficial. Our agency is setting up benchmarking so that we can compare what we are doing with other agencies, and then contacting them for insight on how they are doing things better. Not exactly the same, but along the same lines.
Bart, thats why I like this class. My focus has always been statewide crime problems and issues affecting the entire state, not just one geographical location. It's interesting to me to hear the local perspectives from all the other agencies and what thier local concerns are and what is important to them and the community they serve. I'm learning alot.
Notable strategic planning,,, one of the more memorable assignments I look back on is in 2003. We got a new Sheriff and it was time to clean house so to speak. I was asked to take over the Marine Division which made me responsible for four different Units with about 200 people, 1.5 million dollar yearly budget, 2 million dollars in equipment, four different grants and the list goes on. I had no experience, did not have a real plan (do not tell anyone) and was told to “clean house” starting with political appointments and people who retired in place. It took about six months to develop a real strategic plan because it took that long to get the right people leading the four units. They were really the ones who did most of the operational planning and I was in charge of getting the money, training and equipment, which in itself was a whole lot of planning or manipulation. It was hard letting go of the minor details and I always stayed close to the base of the plan. I learned the hard way that you could not make an “ugly” plan “pretty”. They loved it and it looked like I really knew what I was doing. It took me almost four years to get a good handle on it all. The first two years of planning really paid off the next two years. The real work is always in the details of the planning….
An example of strategic thinking that I have been part of involves planning for the events at the college. I assist in the strategies to get our ten thousand students into the college parking areas without causing major traffic flow problems on the main roads leading into the college. I have used several different ways and different placement of officers over the years. So far each year we keep improving on our flow.I hope some day I come up with the right strategy so i can quit thinking so much.
Rick, I wouldm think that after 25 years on the Flint "bricks" strategic thinking and planning kept you out of the hospital or worse. You do not have to be sitting behind a desk to be a strategic thinker
Over the past two years we have hired 12 new officers and have put them through the PTO program, which is a problem based learning program for our new officers focusing on problem solving. Recently, as a department we have realized that our new officers are lacking in the basic necessities to function as patrol officers. The Deputy Chief put together a problem solving group consisting of myself, PTO coordinators, and our training sergeant to determine the problem and work towards a solution. As a group we determined that we would incorporate some of the past FTO training program concepts, and developed a checklist that would cover what the new officers were lacking in regards to basic patrol functions. Also, we had the new officers go through additional training to know they possessed the necessary traits for the position of police officer.
ReplyDeletewhat do you mean by "they lack the bsic necessities to function as a patrol officer?"
DeleteWe were so focused on the problem solving end of our program that we didn't focus enough attention on the basics with them, reinforcing what they had learned in the academy such as traffic stops, officer safety tactics, high risk stops, force on force, response to resistance, etc....
DeleteDealing with a 6 year very productive employee that has recently been in several high speed car accidents, been late to work, missed court appearances, and has not been turning in reports.
ReplyDeleteI have met with the officer individually and improvements were made. Specifically the only remaining problem was the reports not being done on time. I met with the other shift sergeant and eventually we met with the Division Lieutenant. After speaking as a group and after length discussions we came up with a plan to help the officer. These efforts also worked for a short period of time and the same problems returned.
Since not doing reports is not an option, varying levels of discipline were handed down. The officer never tried to give excuses or deflect his actions, however the report problem persisted. At the next staff meeting we spoke with all the Lts, Sgts, the Chief, and records supervisor about the situation. The records supervisor asked if the officer had been tested for dyslexia or ADHD. This had never occurred to us. Once he was tested it was determined that he had both dyslexia and ADHD.
The officer is being treated by his own doctor and has made tremendous improvements, and still leads the department in productivity while completing his reports.
Interesting. Had a similiar situation and I did a round table with the sgt's about this troopers activity..we came up with a plan and had the Sgt report his progress to me on a montly basis. We found out he was just lazy! 86% of his sick leave use was on Fri, Sat or Sunday. Amazing how healthly he become and how activity improved, when he knew he was being watched and evaluated on a monthly basis..
DeleteI think everyone has an employee(s) that exhibits this behavior at some point in time. Good to have the outside the box thinkers in a strategic thinking group. We have had the same issues with employee (s), and I will keep this in mind, very good example Bart.
DeleteI was part of a post operations work group, prior to our regional policing being implemented. There were 12 people from across the state on this work group and we met throughout the summer. Team members held the rank of captain all the down to sgt level. The focus was how do we continue to operate with post closures and how do we deploy, schedule, move property, etc., across the post areas, which in some post areas is as big as four counties. The neat thing about this workgroup was the diversity of the rank, geographical location stationed at, and current positions within he department, brought a wealth of ideas and suggestions to the table. Also the benefit to strategic thinking is that..you tend to only think about your position or post operation and the work group brings a much bigger and better skill set to help solve the problem. Much like the green team. I enjoy the breakout sessions where we deal with problems and issues. I find great value in listening to other team members explaining how the issues affect their agencies or how they have dealt with a common problem.
ReplyDeleteI like your insight on relating the two group dynamics.
DeleteIt is nice that in your agency you have the ability to do this. For those of us that don't have a statewide organization, setting up work groups would be beneficial. Our agency is setting up benchmarking so that we can compare what we are doing with other agencies, and then contacting them for insight on how they are doing things better. Not exactly the same, but along the same lines.
DeleteBart, thats why I like this class. My focus has always been statewide crime problems and issues affecting the entire state, not just one geographical location. It's interesting to me to hear the local perspectives from all the other agencies and what thier local concerns are and what is important to them and the community they serve. I'm learning alot.
DeleteNotable strategic planning,,, one of the more memorable assignments I look back on is in 2003. We got a new Sheriff and it was time to clean house so to speak. I was asked to take over the Marine Division which made me responsible for four different Units with about 200 people, 1.5 million dollar yearly budget, 2 million dollars in equipment, four different grants and the list goes on. I had no experience, did not have a real plan (do not tell anyone) and was told to “clean house” starting with political appointments and people who retired in place. It took about six months to develop a real strategic plan because it took that long to get the right people leading the four units. They were really the ones who did most of the operational planning and I was in charge of getting the money, training and equipment, which in itself was a whole lot of planning or manipulation. It was hard letting go of the minor details and I always stayed close to the base of the plan. I learned the hard way that you could not make an “ugly” plan “pretty”. They loved it and it looked like I really knew what I was doing. It took me almost four years to get a good handle on it all. The first two years of planning really paid off the next two years. The real work is always in the details of the planning….
ReplyDeleteNothing like jumping in feet first Dan!! I'm sure that gave you a tremendous amount of experience, and that your "D" helped out alot!
DeleteAn example of strategic thinking that I have been part of involves planning for the events at the college. I assist in the strategies to get our ten thousand students into the college parking areas without causing major traffic flow problems on the main roads leading into the college. I have used several different ways and different placement of officers over the years. So far each year we keep improving on our flow.I hope some day I come up with the right strategy so i can quit thinking so much.
ReplyDeleteRick, I wouldm think that after 25 years on the Flint "bricks" strategic thinking and planning kept you out of the hospital or worse. You do not have to be sitting behind a desk to be a strategic thinker
ReplyDelete