The most challenging thing about taking what I learned from this class back to my work situation is finding ideas that are applicable to the our department's mission and value statements.
Is having the administration be receptive to new ideas. I have learned how to communicate better with these people, but breaking the tradition of police and 'how things have been done' is a very hard thing to do.
Bart, when i first got to Flint as a Sgt., I could not believe how somethings were done.....and whenever I questioned it they said...THis is Flint, this is how we do it here! Tough to break the tradition.
Bart, to hell with the communication part. I would implement beatings and when they listen and comply the beatings will stop. This is a much more effective management tool!
The most challening is trying to implement new things. Police officers do not like change! I was told once that cops are resistant to change because they have no control over what happens on the streets, with prosecutors, with juries. The only thing they control is how they do things everyday..like internal processes and then supervisors try to take that control away and implement something new.
Exactly Dan! We have to do more work if we want things to run better in the future. The people that are in place now, won't be here when the change takes effect so they don't want to worry about the work now.
I am really amazed and sad at how my new Station has fallen behind in the last 8-10 years. People keep making comments and recognized it, but did nothing. They mostly all want to move it forward with change and I have alot of young officers that are eager for change. Some deadwood too..I can share alot of freash ideas from this class.
Bart,I agree with Maria. If anyone has the ability to sell a new idea to someone it's you. You have a great ability to explain and teach . And if this doesn't work, use steve's style
The most challenging thing about taking what I learned from this class back to my work situation is a combination of the above answers. Resistance to change is the big one. The other is getting the administration to buy in and back up the changes. I willhave problems with both of these.
The most challenging thing about taking what I learned from this class back to my work situation is finding ideas that are applicable to the our department's mission and value statements.
ReplyDeleteIs having the administration be receptive to new ideas. I have learned how to communicate better with these people, but breaking the tradition of police and 'how things have been done' is a very hard thing to do.
ReplyDeleteBart, when i first got to Flint as a Sgt., I could not believe how somethings were done.....and whenever I questioned it they said...THis is Flint, this is how we do it here! Tough to break the tradition.
DeleteKeep trying Bart, you are an effective communicator, if anybody can break them you can!
DeleteThanks.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteBart, to hell with the communication part. I would implement beatings and when they listen and comply the beatings will stop. This is a much more effective management tool!
DeleteSteve, you did learn Flint Style !!!
DeleteDo you have a stick I can borrow...
DeleteThe most challening is trying to implement new things. Police officers do not like change! I was told once that cops are resistant to change because they have no control over what happens on the streets, with prosecutors, with juries. The only thing they control is how they do things everyday..like internal processes and then supervisors try to take that control away and implement something new.
ReplyDeleteI think that the comments on police and change are spot on
DeleteWe have consensus, change in our agencies is not easy. Change means more damn work!
ReplyDeleteExactly Dan! We have to do more work if we want things to run better in the future. The people that are in place now, won't be here when the change takes effect so they don't want to worry about the work now.
DeleteI am really amazed and sad at how my new Station has fallen behind in the last 8-10 years. People keep making comments and recognized it, but did nothing. They mostly all want to move it forward with change and I have alot of young officers that are eager for change. Some deadwood too..I can share alot of freash ideas from this class.
ReplyDeleteBart,I agree with Maria. If anyone has the ability to sell a new idea to someone it's you. You have a great ability to explain and teach . And if this doesn't work, use steve's style
ReplyDeleteThe most challenging thing about taking what I learned from this class back to my work situation is a combination of the above answers. Resistance to change is the big one. The other is getting the administration to buy in and back up the changes. I willhave problems with both of these.
ReplyDeleteIs getting in the last word for extra credit!
ReplyDelete