lacks any type of common sense application. We need to be more concerned with having the right number of people compared to spending the right amount of money.
Our resource allocation method centers around zero based manpower allocation. From there we establish the numbers of supervisors that are required to supervise those numbers. To assist us further we use hours of day, day of week, cfs analysis so that we can match the numbers of units more closely to resource demand. We also attempt to maintain an average of less than 50% committed time to allow for proactive problem solving.
It's nice that your department enjoys a steady revenue stream that allows BCPD to have the right amount of officers and that you can deploy in a manner that makes sense, is efficient and that your citizens value. God forbid that Kelloggs moves to Mexico or people stop eating cornflakes, because the fall will be like the rest of us that depend on the auto industry and manufacturing..
Our resource allocation is driven by funding and CFS. We can see where we need to adjust the staffing, however we are understaffed to the point we move staff around to fix problems we are "reacting" to. I look forward to a baseline study, but knowing it will make some uncomfortible and the union vocal.
Change makes people uncomfortable...period. It will help that you will have so much knowledge to back up what you are saying! As for the union, no comment!
Our model is just surviving the storm right now. About three years ago the state paid CMU to do a resource allocation study on the state police. They were paid $200,000 for this study...it had just as many formulas and confusing bull sh**t that Tim Freesmeyer had in his studies. At the end of the day, the CMU study said that we needed 1,450 state troopers to perform all the functions that we are mandated to do and have proactive time. We now have 940 troopers on the road and this was before we were ordered into Flint, Saginaw, Pontiac and elswhere...you do the math. This is why we are trying to limit the amount of stuff we get dispatached to, so we can focus on crime.
Sounds like this governor listened to the results and is hiring some troopers for you. Maybe someone will listen in Flint soon to the study they had done. Then the problem of funding once again will come into play. Maybe we can start taxing the booze joints and numbers houses ?
Whether our department wants it done or not, I will do one on my own time to see if we are even in the ballpark. I have the luxury of having two other people that received this training. There is no basis in our resource allocation other than, this is what we have done in the past. So yes I will be doing one. I may make this my course project.
I have never seen our resource allocation model and I'm not sure one exist. However, are I'm sure that if we had one, some part of it would be related to CFS. We obviously are much busier on first and second shift. I would like to revisit this with my chief and talk to her about staffing levels on our second shift. I think we are overloaded on days. Posted by rickvic at 6:10 PM
lacks any type of common sense application. We need to be more concerned with having the right number of people compared to spending the right amount of money.
ReplyDeleteOur resource allocation method centers around zero based manpower allocation. From there we establish the numbers of supervisors that are required to supervise those numbers. To assist us further we use hours of day, day of week, cfs analysis so that we can match the numbers of units more closely to resource demand. We also attempt to maintain an average of less than 50% committed time to allow for proactive problem solving.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that your department enjoys a steady revenue stream that allows BCPD to have the right amount of officers and that you can deploy in a manner that makes sense, is efficient and that your citizens value. God forbid that Kelloggs moves to Mexico or people stop eating cornflakes, because the fall will be like the rest of us that depend on the auto industry and manufacturing..
DeleteI agree completely Steve!
DeleteDon't worry it will never happen to you. Just come and ask the people in Flint.
DeleteOur resource allocation is driven by funding and CFS. We can see where we need to adjust the staffing, however we are understaffed to the point we move staff around to fix problems we are "reacting" to. I look forward to a baseline study, but knowing it will make some uncomfortible and the union vocal.
ReplyDeleteChange makes people uncomfortable...period. It will help that you will have so much knowledge to back up what you are saying! As for the union, no comment!
Deleteso do you think you will do a study Bart?
ReplyDeleteOur model is just surviving the storm right now. About three years ago the state paid CMU to do a resource allocation study on the state police. They were paid $200,000 for this study...it had just as many formulas and confusing bull sh**t that Tim Freesmeyer had in his studies. At the end of the day, the CMU study said that we needed 1,450 state troopers to perform all the functions that we are mandated to do and have proactive time. We now have 940 troopers on the road and this was before we were ordered into Flint, Saginaw, Pontiac and elswhere...you do the math. This is why we are trying to limit the amount of stuff we get dispatached to, so we can focus on crime.
ReplyDeleteSounds like this governor listened to the results and is hiring some troopers for you. Maybe someone will listen in Flint soon to the study they had done. Then the problem of funding once again will come into play. Maybe we can start taxing the booze joints and numbers houses ?
DeleteWhether our department wants it done or not, I will do one on my own time to see if we are even in the ballpark. I have the luxury of having two other people that received this training. There is no basis in our resource allocation other than, this is what we have done in the past. So yes I will be doing one. I may make this my course project.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen our resource allocation model and I'm not sure one exist. However, are I'm sure that if we had one, some part of it would be related to CFS. We obviously are much busier on first and second shift. I would like to revisit this with my chief and talk to her about staffing levels on our second shift. I think we are overloaded on days.
ReplyDeletePosted by rickvic at 6:10 PM
I plan on using the week six allocation workbook for Orion Township ASAP. If anything, I want the knowledge to compare to what we are doing now.
ReplyDelete