Monday, March 5, 2012

Week # 3 - Question 1


1)       In a well functioning team, majority rule . . .

20 comments:

  1. Majority rule means that someone does not agree and may be forced to "shut it." We need consensus so that everyone is on the same page. In the real world, most of the time Majority Rule is what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Bart you took the words right out of my mouth. I could not have come up with a better response.

      Delete
    3. you're right I didn't have a response at that time but know i have to have one. I think you and Steve are correct. I'm not sure if there is another or a better way to decide something. I'm glad we don't have to settle every decision with violence.

      Delete
  2. ...will not cause conflict, however if those in the minority continue to not have their input agreed upon the group may experience conflict. A well functioning team will let all members be heard and respect all opinions even if agreement does not occur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Maria, everyone is entitled to have their opinion heard and be respected. Sometimes by viewing the picture through someones elses lens, can make you understand their opinion better and may even make you change yours..

      Delete
    2. I like how you explain this Steve in regards to others perceptions, excellent point.

      Delete
  3. Majority rule means that all in the group may not agree with the answer but may be forced to go along with the something. This may be caused by a difference of opinion or by a lack of knowledge in the particular subject. In a well functioning team the minority will have to get over it for the good of the order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Majority rule has been the rule of order since our founding fathers arrived in this country. From government,to school boards, to work groups, majority rule has been the way orderly decisions have been made. You have to have a defined way to make decisions as a board/team and move forward. Majority rule has been the democratic process for this. I'm not aware of any other way to make decisions as a board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you to a point Steve. I think there are times when Majority rule is not the case, or at least not initially. Majority rule works only after there has been a frank discussion on the topic at hand.

      Delete
  5. How would you handle somebody whose beliefs on a topic were in the minority view and not the majority?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not handle them any different. In a well functioning team, everybodyd opinion is respected, valued and counts. Even though you don't agree with thier position, it does not make them less valuable.

      Like Bart. Bart wants 180 dispatch centers in Michigan and wants public safety money (MILLIONS) diverted to these centers at the expense of law enforcement officers. I don't agree with Bart, but I respect his position and will bust his chops everytime I get the opportunity to during this class!!

      Delete
    2. I think to handle someone whose beliefs are not in the majority is not a big deal. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and we shouldn't try to change anyone's beliefs. We can certainly explain our beliefs to someone and try or attempt to make them see our vision. But at the same time, if you are on a WELL FUNCTIONING team, you will also listen to the beliefs or views of the other.

      Delete
    3. I agree Steve and Rick, respecting others opinions is key.

      Delete
  6. Majority rule seems to be a general term and to the point we joke about it at times? He or she Who rules is the Majority.. I do like the Majority Consensus term. Sounds so much nicer than a Ruler. My teenage daughter would say "rule dont rule me". Just go put some proper cloths on will ya. Maria, this happens often and I like to hear someones beliefs again and then debate some of the points. At times, the massage was lost with them or us or who knows. Most times, as long as they were "heard" was most important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never lost the massage.. maybe the message, but not the massage.

      In response to Maria, it needs to be talked about. Unfortunately it is going to come to a point when a majority rule has to be taken so that everyone can move forward. But that should not happen without an open, frank, and critical discussion of the minority opinion.

      Delete
    2. Yes Dan, having two teenage daughters the term "proper clothes" comes up frequently. I frequently remind them that "majority rules" do not apply in my house. "Dads rules" are the law of the land in my castle....

      Delete
    3. My current position puts me working with an average age of about 25-30 years olds and I think Consensus and Majority Rule would have a different definition than this groups understanding. We have some real issues with work ethic with the X, Y and is it Z now? Conforming to a standard is difficult, like they never had to it before. So yes Rick, I feel like I am dealing with teenagers at work sometimes and they want a ruler. Loose the Tat’s, the earrings and the attitude “Dude” and decide what career you want because now you represent the Sheriff, not your personal opinion. Sorry to rant,, too many citizen complaints..

      Delete
    4. Dan, your commentary cracked me up!! :) Also, Dan and Steve I feel for you with teenage daughters not looking forward to that!

      Delete
    5. i will have three teen daughters at the same time... im getting an apartment for those years

      Delete