Monday, February 6, 2012

Week #2 - Question #3

3. A mentor . . .

15 comments:

  1. Should listen. And only after listening should provide honest feedback that can assist the subject in making some decisions. The mentor should not tell the subject what to do, but provide ideas and alternatives. The decision to be made must always be made by the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. provides guidance to those that wish to follow the same path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can mentoring be used for someone that does not want to follow the same path?

      Delete
    2. I believe so Bart, thank you for pointing that out, the person being mentored may not necessarily follow the same course at all.

      Delete
  3. is someone who is there to help someone out with their problems. The mentor is usually going to be looked upon by the subject as someone who has great knowledge and or wisdom in certain areas. A mentor should be showing someone how to head in the right direction and give guidance to provide the right choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is a role model, friend or advisor to help guide someone less experienced, knowledgeable, or mature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mentor is a person who always is looking for ways to assist someone when ever needed and being a positive role model when not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, I agree> Bart has been a great mentor for us when dealing with technology issues. He always helps out when asked and when not being asked volunteers to help.

      Delete
  6. We do not have a mentor program at work, however the topic has been tossed around. Do any of you have mentoring programs at your departments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had a Explorer Post and I had it for 5 years. Lots of mentoring with 16-21 yr olds. A lot of work, but 5 years later I see them come back in with other Department's (and ours too) and they speak so highly of how far ahead they were when they started because of the mentoring and ride-alongs. The best mentoring I had in my career was over coffee listening how and why the "old" guys did what they did. The core values with experience you could say..

      Delete
    2. Yes coffee does provide a ton of information from the veterans. Is there a mentoring program? Or did you just wing it? Thanks for the input Dan.

      Delete
  7. I guess you could say that our student officer program could be described as a mentoring program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking at the Explorer's, FTO, and other ways we mentor as a program.Does anyone have a formal structured department program? If I paid OT I would have a huge list. Sounds like a research topic when I finish with blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a cadet program where the requirment is to pass the same police entry exam our officers take, and they have to be enrolled in a criminal justice program. When we do our hiring we try to pick up the cadets first if they pass the rest of the hiring process since they have become accustomed to our department. We also have an officer currently doing a POPs project mentoring youth who do not have strong role models, I will be curious to see how that project takes off.

    ReplyDelete